Veins of Gold in America

Like Newbius, I am rather tired of the constant stream of commentary, it’s no longer news, surrounding the recent Arizona shootings.  I have attempted to limit my own commentary on this subject, but today I must post something positive in regards to this recent event, because the positive aspect surrounding the Arizona shootings can remind us that America still has veins of gold.

But the most truly newsworthy features of the story are what did not happen here.

There was no riot. There were, to be sure, some 20 victims and 6 deaths, but not dozens. No one bled to death while people cowered and waited for a SWAT team from the sky. The agony did not go on for hours or days, but was ended quickly.

Aside from the names of the fallen, the names that should be remembered are those of the citizens who acted as Americans should, to protect and help themselves and their neighbors in the event of danger. Roger Salzgeber and 74-year-old retired Army National Guard Colonel Bill Badger, who was slightly injured, tackled the shooter. Joe Zamudio helped pin him to the ground. A 61-year old woman, Patricia Maisch, grabbed the magazine the shooter had dropped while trying to reload, and then knelt on his ankles. Daniel Hernandez, Jr., rushed to the side of his new boss, Congresswoman Giffords, applying pressure to her wound, and keeping her from choking on her own blood. Let us commend and thank all of them, and resolve to act as they did if we are ever in such a situation. Let us remember their names, and black out the shooter’s. (bold by ed.)

From a post written by Jane M. Orient, M.D., titled A Tucson, Arizona Physician’s Commentary: There is More to the Story of The Tucson Shootings, linked via a post at the blog Wealth is not the Problem titled The True Wealth of our Nation.

Thanks also to Mike Fagan, blogging from Taiwan, for alerting me to the blog Wealth is not the Problem.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 01/14 at 10:23 AM
  1. Peter Rhee, Director of the Trauma Unit at the University of Arizona is an amazing example of a human being. In closing the press conference update today in Tucson, he said, “this will be the last meeting we will have like this, we have not been renewed for another season.”

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)  on  01/14  at  09:52 PM
  2. John, I’m surprised you weren’t aware of Beth Haynes and her blog - I think her blogging is so often so good that I feel ashamed not to be doing much better myself.

She was also a contributer to a blog called “simlycapitalism” (http://www.simplycapitalism.com) which now sadly seems defunct. Some of the work she and others did at that place was often superb, but seemingly neglected - perhaps partly because the quality and quantity of argument and factual support in their pieces was so much higher than just about anything anyone else was doing, and so it didn’t lend itself quite so well to the casual argumentative dynamic you find at places like Samizdata.

Posted by mike  on  01/15  at  06:23 AM
  3. ...I’m surprised you weren’t aware of Beth Haynes and her blog…

Mike, I was not aware of Beth’s writing, either at her current place, or at “simplycapitalism,” unfortunately.

And I thought I read quite extensively.

4. Dr. Michael Lemole, head of neurosurgery, University of Arizona, who looks like he might break out in ‘I’m A Soul Man,‘at any second. Hat’s off to you too, Doc, thank you.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)  on  01/15  at  09:20 AM
  5. Mateo

You better duck!

I agree with you.  Well put!

Posted by jb  on  01/15  at  03:34 PM
  6. Thank them, not me…

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)  on  01/15  at  10:50 PM
  7. You put it well, too.

Take the sugar, Mateo.  LOL

Posted by jb  on  01/16  at  12:11 AM
  8. Whether you are learning, or re-learning to walk, everyone starts with baby steps… one of lifes most rewarding feelings comes from not falling after your first.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)  on  01/16  at  09:00 AM
  9. one lump or two??

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)  on  01/16  at  09:02 AM
  10. So, how come we get medical progress reports for one of the victims, but not the others? Why is one “more equal” than the others?

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)  on  01/16  at  09:24 PM
  11. JQ, maybe because she called the meeting in the first place, and I believe was the intended target of the shooter, and other than dying, she was most critically injured???? I believe Doctors Rhee and Lemole also gave updates on the other patients. Maybe you were too quick to turn back to Jerry Springer?

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)  on  01/16  at  11:29 PM
  12. I had the pleasure of hearing poet laureate Billy Collins recite this weekend. It was a revelation for me. One of his poems, which he did not recite this weekend because it wasn’t on topic, is “Names.” I understand it is quite a famous poem. If you look up Billy Collins on Wikipedia, there is a link to “Names.” I encourage everyone to listen to Billy recite “Names”, even if you have heard him recite it before. Feel free to substitute any name you wish. I don’t think he will mind. After all,today is almost Martin Luther King Day.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)  on  01/17  at  12:28 AM