There Is A Third Way - Massive Passive Civil Disobedience

Some of my recent posts here, such as “There will be no “winners””, which present possible scenarios if rebellion/insurrection should occur in these United States, do not make for necessarily pleasant reading or contemplation.  And while I do think that it is possible these more violent scenarios could possibly occur, there are actually three ways America could go in response to the government’s continued attempts to restrict Americans’ freedom and liberty.

The first way is blind acceptance of the government’s decrees and authority, and there are those living here in the U.S. who advocate this, fervently believing that the state is their friend, though nothing could be further from the truth.

The second way, is the way of rebellion and insurrection, a way that would, in all likelihood, result in blood being spilled, and there are those who advocate this way, noting that one of America’s founding fathers, Thomas Jefferson himself, counseled that the tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.

There is a third way, though, which often is ignored, or decried as impractical or impossible, but is it?  That way is massive, passive civil disobedience, and there is evidence massive passive civil disobedience is currently rising, here in the United States, and I think it is rising in that portion of the population which Richard Nixon appealed to in the past, the silent majority, some of whom were berated in this most recent presidential election, the silent conservatives, such as myself though I am far from silent, for not going to the polls to cast a vote.  Even the New York Times noted this year that massive passive civil disobedience could crash the system, as I noted here, and there are corporations, such as Hobby Lobby, which intend to defy aspects of ObamaCare, and I hope other corporations join Hobby Lobby in this defiance.

Additional evidence of massive passive civil disobedience can be seen in reports of individuals, throughout the world, who defy government gun bans, or reports of the daily increase in the number of members of the NRA.

Though I am willing to defend my freedom with my life, as are numbers of others, I prefer to preserve my life and encourage massive passive civil disobedience prior to resorting to more sanguinary means to maintain my, and your, liberty and freedom.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 01/01 at 01:18 PM
  1. John,
    First a happy New Years.

Second, I remain skeptical that there will be any massive insurrection or civil disobedience, unless and until there is massive economic collapse. Which will most likely be followed by civil collapse of greater or lesser degrees depending on where you live.

In a country where one of the biggest problems the ‘poor’ face is obesity, I just don’t see it. How many of the belly achers who complain about, a) the election, b) the path the country is on, etc. were too lazy to get off of their asses and vote? And don’t tell me you didn’t ‘like’ Romney. Anybody would be better than the empty suit sack of shit (ESSOS) now occupying the White House.

How many of these same complainers who decry our public school system ever went there and tried to engage it?

I could go on, but I think I create the picture sufficiently.

The battle was lost before it was started. While no one but a few lonely voices, who were ridiculed and reviled I may add, noticed or said anything.

While alleviating the ‘poverty’ became reducing ‘income inequality.’ While conservation morphed into radical environmentalism. While political disagreement went from being disagreement to a sign of mental illness, or evil.

We fulminate about ‘liberals’, socialists, elites, etc. but we have already met the enemy. It’s that person staring back at us in the mirror every morning.

We allowed it to happen over time, being too busy with our lives, our families, our careers. Until, like the proverbial frog in the pot of water that is ever so slowly increasing in heat, we realize we are cooked.

I apologize if I sound pessimistic, but I am. That doesn’t mean giving up the fight, not by a long shot. However, as I said, I doubt there will be any mass civil disobedience. I hope I’m wrong, but I doubt it.

Nor do I see law enforcement or the military stepping in, except to crush any insurrection and/or aid in the enforcement of repression.

I could go on, but I’ve been enough of a downer.
    Let’s all do what ever we can in this new year, and going forward.

One last note, I’m presently reading Stalin by Edvard Radzinsky, it’s highly readable, well referenced and well written. He was able to use documents from archives not available during Soviet times. I urge everyone to read it because it seems eerily similar in too many ways to things we are seeing today.

Posted by Tim P  on  01/01  at  08:06 PM
  2. First, let me say it is a pleasure to read your blog. I enjoy your well reasoned approach to the issues at hand.

I am a firm believer in tax revolt as a last ditch means of avoiding violent rebellion. After all, we do pay these people to harass and opress us in the myriad of way that they do, large and small, day after day. They do what they do daily, funded by tax dollars or monies that they assume they’ll be able to extract from the populace for generations to come.

It doesn’t have to be a blatant and illegal refusal to pay, though that is always nice. It can be a simple as decreasing on the books income to below the federal tax line and reducing the consumption of taxable goods to the bare minimum. Barter, trade, make your own, fix your own, grow your own.

Deprive these criminals, these corrupt traitors in charge and their legion of petty tyrants of every penny possible at every opportunity. This is so simple, so do-able.

Sure, they’ll ramp up the printing presses, they’ll shuffle aroiund electronic funds that have no actual backing, but eventually other nations will stop accepting their worthless script, just like the world is slowing down on buying our debt via T-bonds and the like. And, it won’t stop there.

There is no fixing the government. Revolution is the only solution, but it can be achieved without civil war and wide spread violence. Refusing to fund the current corrupted regime that has completely turned its face from the governing documents of this nation is, to my mind, a viable solution, particularly when paired with noncompliance at every level possible.

Best Regards,

Sharon Secor

Posted by Sharon Secor  on  01/01  at  11:12 PM
  3. Thank you for the well-reasoned and written entry.

I agree that option one, blindly accepting the “the government is our friend” is NOT an option for many of us.  Option two may find us despite our best efforts and intentions, as the Progressives may decide to let nothing stand in the way of their march to the Promised Land.  But, moving from political discourse (bitter though it may be) directly to violent actions would be out of character for the people of this nation who have demonstrated many times a great deal of tolerance for acts, actions and our politicians.  Option three, civil disobedience is a logical next step for a people who do not wish to be ruled.  Whatever the actions taken are, they will need to be crippling to the central government and cause society in general pain and discomfort as a demonstration of our displeasure.

I am of the opinion that the ability for two groups with ideologically divergent philosophies to coexist with in the United States has passed.  You have heard the man who occupies the White House state something to the effect that Mitt Romney isn’t a part of the “new” America.  The blessing bestowed upon the Occupy movement by the Progressives, the forced feeding of the Affordable Care Act, in contravention to what most of the population desires…  We who value our Rights, Freedom and individual responsibility cannot exist in the country and society that is being created as a “new” Amerika.  A division, a separation, preferably peacefully is the only logical and sane conclusion that will not result in an internal conflict of unimaginable destruction, pain and suffering.  One group simply cannot allow the other to parasitize and feed off of it indefinitely.  The host is now weakening and must remove itself from the parasite or itself perish.  While I support your hopes, unfortunately, I see them as a path to a future that very few want or see as desirable.

Jeff Brinch

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)  on  01/02  at  10:33 AM
  4. Tim, thanks for sharing your thoughts, and I do not think they are overly pessimistic.

I recall ESR’s essay, which you linked under “lost,” and as ESR suggests, I am attempting to refute, mock, deride and point out the underlying Marxist theories, and their proponents, under their many different guises, almost daily here.

I still think that massive passive civil disobedience can be viable, and I find it encouraging to read that only 20% (approximately) of individuals typically comply with gun restrictions.  The question becomes how can individuals be encouraged to take this one act of non-compliance and defiance further, such that it may further strangle the state as it currently exists.

Also, thank you for recommending Radzinsky’s book.  I’ll look for it.

Happy New Year to you and your family also.

5. Sharon, thank you for your kind words and for sharing your thoughts on this subject.

Tax revolt, is the one form of massive passive civil disobedience which could have the sharpest teeth against the government, as it currently exists, and I’ve recommended it before.

While your suggestions have distinct merit, and I applaud them, it becomes problematic for these ideas to become massive because the largest percentage of working Americans have their money taken from them by their employers, who fulfil the role of the government’s revenue agents.

I’ve suggested in the past, that individuals should amend their withholding allowances with their employers, and this can be done legally by amending their W9 forms.  If the state cannot feed, it becomes more difficult for it to grow.

6. Unfortunately, based on the words, actions, attitudes and rhetoric of the Progressives, I think their reaction to an even moderately successful campaign of civil disobedience/defiance will be to up the ante through the powers of government and its forces, pushing us to the point where we have no other option but to declare that the Federal Government as constituted no longer represents us, the citizens who believe in the Constitution and reject its authority, jurisdiction and representatives.  We will then have arrived at stage two.

Jeff, if indeed the ante were upped, as you say, by campaigns of massive passive civil disobedience, and the government began rounding up the disobedient, or actively attacking Americans or sections of America for being passively civil disobedient, I think there is a distinct possibility that more Americans would actively rise up against the government.

I think it is true that a large majority of conservative Americans silently bear the burden of the state on their shoulders, in large part because they value life and peace, the remaining liberty they possess, and their families.  And I also think, that many of the above mentioned shoulders cannot bear much more.

7. Could not agree with you more. The hot-heads on both sides, left and right, do not understand what they are champing at the bit for. Hot wars are nasty and brutal and there are seldom clear winners. Lots of good decent people die along with the trash. Those who are advocating the country needs a good washing out, do not understand it will include themselves and their families also.
    “The prophets do not live to see paradise.”

Posted by Dave  on  01/02  at  01:28 PM
  8. If we’re going to go down the civil disobedience route, which is probably the best of our bad options, then we need to emphasis the traditional Anglo-American role of juries in protecting liberty.  There needs to be very strong, very vocal effort to remind all Americans that juries are sovereign, and that plea bargains can be refused.

Federal prosecutors are judged and promoted largely by conviction rate (including plea bargains).  All it would take is a couple dozen hung juries, or outright acquittals, of tax protestors and gun scofflaws and you’d see prosecution activity drop drastically.

Likewise, if righteous patriots made it a point of universally rejecting plea bargains, the gears would grind to a halt.

At that point, the USG would either have to give in to civil disobedience, or turn to more explicit tyranny, at which point violence would finally be warranted.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)  on  01/02  at  02:31 PM
  9. Hot wars are nasty and brutal and there are seldom clear winners. Lots of good decent people die along with the trash.

Dave, you are absolutely correct, and this fact must be well understood by all.

I want my sword to be clean.

10. 5J, you bring to the discussion important points, which includes the subject of jury nullification.  I consider jury nullification, cautionary notes considered, an important aspect of massive passive civil disobedience.  Thank you for posting your thoughts.