The Physics of Stacked Rocks

Stacked rocks in my front yard.

image

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 05/05 at 10:03 AM
  1. Amazing what silicone will stick to.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)  on  05/05  at  10:50 AM
  2. Funny, Pfeif.

3. They look like cairns.

Posted by RKN  on  05/05  at  12:35 PM
  4. You’ve got yourself the beginning of a Zen garden.

Posted by Yabu  on  05/05  at  10:10 PM
  5. Rod, they do look a bit like cairns, though a bit more precariously balanced than the example at the link.

6. Yabu.  While it appears that I do have the beginning of a Zen garden, I mostly have less lawn to mow.

7. See here and especially here.

Posted by mike  on  05/08  at  08:33 AM
  8. Mike, those are some fine examples of the physics of stacked rocks.  Thanks.

9. Apologies, John! I was just bored while eating!

That dam (and its nearby cousins) actually withstood a magnitude seven quake just over ten years ago - with the epicentre only about fifty miles away to the north. Whether it would withstand a quake like the one that hit Fukushima last year is another question.

Posted by mike  on  05/08  at  01:37 PM
  10. Apologies?  I don’t need no stinkin’ apologies for you posting that comment or the pics you linked to.  I thought the pics were dead on subject, Mike.

11. John: I mistook your comment for sarcasm! Doesn’t matter. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that I might yet be able to get some old aerial pics (circa 1993) of the excavators at work dressing the downstream face of the dam. It must have been a lot of painstaking work.

Posted by mike  on  05/09  at  09:48 AM