The Day After Thoughts

I’ve spent the past couple of hours roaming the wide world of the internet, soaking in the various viewpoints to Obama’s re-election.  Thoughts range from anger and disbelief, for those individuals tending to embrace Republican party ideals, to giddiness and chop licking for individuals tending to Democratic party ideals.

There’s plenty of blame being shoveled upon individuals for Obama’s win and Romney’s loss, most of which is being shoveled upon the voters, no matter which party’s candidate the voter spent their vote on.

Blame is also being cast upon non-voters, such as myself, and one of the most flagrantly odious and unhinged I’ve read comes from a post titled Well, the Republic had a good long run.

To all of those “Principalled” voters who stood by their “Principals”, thanks. When I have to live like an animal, I’ll remember that you did what you thought was right. And all you who suffered under the evil delusion that “Voting is immoral”, have fun in hell. I only hope I get there first so I can make up your bed. You won’t like it.

Of all the reasons I can consider as to why God would judge that I should go to hell, I hardly think that not voting makes the list.  It is a childish statement, such as I made when I was a ten year old child, and related in an older post I titled Go To Hell - Don’t Be To Certain.  I should think that if God judges I should reside in hell, it would be for reasons such as that I committed adultery in my past, or took God’s name in vain.  Fortuntately, God will make the decision if I will go to hell, not Og.

But, to today, the day after the re-election of Obama.  I woke up this morning, and I watched the sun rise once again, staining the sky a soft rose wine.  I enjoyed my coffee and cigar on the back porch, just as I always do.  When I walked my critter, I saw people driving to work, retreiving their morning papers, parents walking their kids to school, as if nothing had changed.  And in large part nothing has changed.  The world is going on.

Claire Wolfe has also considered the day after thoughts in a post titled Something there is that doesn’t love a government, and it’s worth reading what she has put down.

My happiness is not dependent on the state.  Don’t let yours be.

UPDATE: A more realistic punishment scenario for not voting.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 11/07 at 10:36 AM
  1. See what happens when you run the Democrat nominee for the Republican candidacy? Going against my previous post, I’m done. I will never vote again, unless I see radical changes in what’s being offered, which means I will never vote again. T…

Posted by http://ricketyclick.com/blog/index.php/2012/11/07/  on  11/07  at  04:01 PM
  2. Ha! Enjoy that coffee! (while its still available ..)

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)  on  11/07  at  06:23 PM
  3. The Og’s of this world are living in a fragile bubble of self-enforced delusion, otherwise known as epistemic closure.

The entire right wing world was completely gobsmacked by Romneys crushing defeat.

It would be amusing if weren’t so pathetically sad.

Conor Friedersdorf nailed it today;

On the biggest political story of the year, the conservative media just got its ass handed to it by the mainstream media. And movement conservatives, who believe the MSM is more biased and less rigorous than their alternatives, have no way to explain how their trusted outlets got it wrong, while the New York Times got it right. Hint: The Times hired the most rigorous forecaster it could find.

It ought to be an eye-opening moment.

But I expect that it’ll be quickly forgotten, that none of the conservatives who touted a polling conspiracy will be discredited, and that the right will continue to operate at an information disadvantage. After all, it’s not like they’ll trust the analysis of a non-conservative like me more than the numerous fellow conservatives who constantly tell them things that turn out not to be true.

Michael Brendan Dougherty spells out the harsh reality that tea party types and so-cons refuse to accept;

Lots of Republican voters died, and lots of Democratic voters came into being: The winning modern Republican coalition goes back to Richard Nixon. It includes lots of white ethnic Catholics, Southern Evangelicals, and the odd country clubbers. This coalition is much older and whiter than the America that is rapidly coming into being. About two and half million Americans die every year. That means something like 10 million Americans died since 2008. More of them would be Republican voters than not. And at the same time, younger voters are much more likely to take President Obama’s side on the culture war. They are more likely to be non-white and secular. About 16.8 million Americans turned 18 between the last election and this one. So, yes, Democratic enthusiasm may be dampened, but demographic changes make it easier for Democrats to turn out the same number of voters year after year.

The Og’s deserve every bit of election misery bought by their willful ignorance.

Posted by Daphne  on  11/07  at  08:23 PM
  4. OT…..Ever thought about alphabetizing your blog role, John?

That hot mess of a list drives me nuts and I can’t find my friends with ease.

Posted by Daphne  on  11/07  at  09:08 PM
  5. “demographic changes make it easier for Democrats to turn out the same number of voters year after year.”

Well, between that and the fact demoncrats keep right on voting after they are dead…...

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)  on  11/07  at  10:37 PM
  6. Guess that makes them even with the GOP’s strident state efforts to suppress and disenfranchise voters who won’t swing their way.

God forbid they take an even worse public beating than they did last night.

Posted by Daphne  on  11/07  at  10:46 PM
  7. Someday a republican will be elected again, and then a democrat, then a republican, then a democrat, and then…well you get the picture. As it was always, so shall it ever be.
    ‘demoncrats keep right on voting after they are dead…...’
    They call that their core constituency. And there are a lot more dead people than living people.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)  on  11/08  at  12:52 AM
  8. I have no need to tangle with Og again - it’s the “Letting sleeping dogs alone” sort of thing and all, but that old canard about “if you don’t vote, you can’t say anything is just that - an old canard.

The Frank and Ernest comic was priceless, JV!

The vote is not a “privilege” as some would say, it is “right” to be exercised if a free man chooses to do so, or one that the same free man can choose to ignore - and all of that being the inherent make-up of a free man.  The “herd” or “pack” mentality that so governs most, and forces them in an almost sacramental way, withing the narrow confines of ONLY TWO PARTIES, to go and actually choose other people to tell them how to live, what to do, how much in taxes they must send to state capitols and DC, and how many of their children must die for the latest war effort, is sheer insanity.

Og - I voted!  I stayed home, which is to say, I voted for none of the above.

Unless you (should be fun to watch your attempts) can prove that I am somehow less deserving of my rights according to the Constitution by not voting, then you really need to learn the PRINCIPLES (proper spelling) upon which the land of ours was founded.

As an aside, Romney could not even energize the base as poorly as did McCain 4 years ago, and he got creamed.  There are many other factors as well, but I suspect I have just given you a week’s worth of heartburn.

Sorry, dude.  grin

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)  on  11/08  at  03:36 PM
  9. You are delusional.  If you voted for Paul or some other nut or didn’t vote at all then you voted for Obama.  The Democrats won this NOT because most Americans wanted him but simply because most Americans didn’t vote.  We are in for a tough four years.  I hope those of you who thought not voting was cool also have good jobs and money in the bank.  I’m betting we all get to experience a great depression just as our grandparents did.  Are we up to it?  Are we as strong as our grandparents were???

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)  on  11/09  at  11:31 AM
  10. ‘If you voted for Paul or some other nut or didn’t vote at all then you voted for Obama.’
    That’s a logical contradiction.
    ‘The Democrats won this NOT because most Americans wanted him but simply because most Americans didn’t vote…’
    And all of this would have been true had Romney won. We would be in for four tough years. So what’s your point?

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)  on  11/09  at  08:59 PM
  11. GWTW -

You make the response way too easy . . .

First of all, there is nothing (go try to prove otherwise!) NOTHING that says I must vote.  And when two PROVEN ASSHOLES are running, I am doubly certain I am not going to the polls.  Why would I to expend my franchise for that which I oppose?

Are you daft, man?  And most Americans didn’t vote?  I would repeat my question - are you daft?

As to thinking the mere election of the Bammster is going to be the bane of all things apocalytic, man, you need a serious history lesson.  Start with Lincoln trashing the Constitution; flash forward to Wilson with the FED, the IRS, and the 17th Amendment - which stripped states of their power against the Federal Leviathan.

The silly nonsense, and absolute falsehoods and silly appeals to “patriotism” and the “duty of citizens” and all that crap is just that . . .

Crap.

We will go bankrupt because the Federal Reserve, long before Obama was born, was continually stripping away the value of dollar.  Presidents don’t force us to spend a dime, Congress does, and one needs to pay attention to their shenanigans.

This common refrain so often heard among those who just don’t “get it” - that those of us who do, screwed the pooch by not voting, is of itself completely delusional.

Were I to vote, I would vote according to my conscience, as would a rational, sane man.  The slate of candidates presented nothing to which my conscience could attach itself - which has been the case for well over 20 years.

So - no, sir, I accept neither your insinuation nor your accusation.  Let’s be perfectly honest - the GOP put up as big a loser in Romney as they did with McCain in 2008, and you will excoriate those of us who did not vote for the fool?

Again, I repeat - are you daft, man?

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)  on  11/10  at  02:17 AM