Scary Chicken Bunny

image

When my Beautiful Inconvenience arrived to live in our home, so did all manner of child related material.  Toys, diaper pails, safety plugs for outlets, a crib, specialized foods, etcetera, etcetera.  One item which also made it into our house, rather than going into storage, is pictured above and it is named in the title to this post.  Scary Chicken Bunny.

Scary Chicken Bunny was a gift to my granddaughter, Finlay, from her other grandparents who reside down Kentucky way.  Scary Chicken Bunny is a battery powered noisemaker, which, when you pinch its left armpit, as if you’re probing for an inflamed lymph node, begins to play an old annoying circus tune.  You can hear it almost halfway down the street.  If this was all that Scary Chicken Bunny was able to do, I doubt very much it would have acquired the name Scary Chicken Bunny in our household.  But Scary Chicken Bunny not only plays an old annoying circus tune, it waddles around, flaps its stunted wings, crows like a rooster on steroids, while its purple hat and bunny ears rise up and down, and its cheeks also flash.  While I find Scary Chicken Bunny annoyingly amusing, Finlay finds it appalling, and thus Scary Chicken Bunny has been assigned the role of sentinel of the stairs.

You see, Finlay is quite mobile, now, actually close to walking with purpose, being just a few weeks shy of her 1st birthday, and because she is very able to crawl her way up the stairs, we needed to do something to prevent her from ascending them, because as soon as she realized her capability to crawl her way up the stairs, she developed quite a fondness for doing so.  When I mentioned to the Lovely Melis and Finlay’s mom, Buster, that we’d either need to put a gate up, or break Finlay of her fondness for heading up the stairs with more disciplinary firmness, Buster thought for a minute or two and produced Scary Chicken Bunny instead.

Because Finlay is so appalled by Scary Chicken Bunny, it now silently stands as sentinel on the second stair of the steps leading upstairs, and Finlay gives Scary Chicken Bunny, and the stairs, wide birth, eyeing Scary Chicken Bunny suspiciously whenever she passes by, even in its silence.  If we note Finlay considering getting friendly with Scary Chicken Bunny, as he stands sentinel on the stairs, we simply pinch that left armpit lymph node and fire Scary Chicken Bunny’s various animations up, and refresh Fin’s sense of being appalled.

Scary Chicken Bunny makes for a fine sentinel of the stairs.  At least for now.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 01/12 at 03:44 PM
  1. Good on Finlay.

I, too, am appalled by Scary Chicken Bunny even though it is hundreds of miles away and safely imprisoned behind the screen of my computer.

Posted by Erin O'Brien  on  01/13  at  10:17 AM
  2. Erin, you should also be thankful that you cannot hear Scary Chicken Bunny down Cleveland way.

3. Lil’ OB had a bouncy seat she loved as an infant. It was outfitted with a toy bar that had a music player—small potatoes compared to the formidable SCB. She loved that damn thing and pushed the play button again and again and again and and and ....

You get the picture.

When she finally outgrew the seat, I ripped the electronic music box off the play bar, took it into the utility room and smashed it to bits with a hammer.

Is a person proud to admit this? Hell no, a person is not proud to admit this, but there you go. Suffice it to say that if SCB meets a similar fate, I will understand.

Posted by Erin O'Brien  on  01/13  at  11:49 AM
  4. And because I cannot resist, one day your granddaughter will probably get the knack.

God help you all.

Posted by Erin O'Brien  on  01/13  at  12:12 PM
  5. I think the mob are leaving those on people’s pillows now after PETA got after them about the whole horse head thing.

Posted by Brigid  on  01/14  at  07:52 PM
  6. You people should be jailed for torturing that child so. Can I come over and watch?  LOL

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)  on  01/14  at  10:32 PM
  7. I doubt Scary Chicken Bunny will protect your fine beers when J and I come over….

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)  on  01/15  at  03:41 PM
  8. I think the mob are leaving those on people’s pillows now after PETA got after them about the whole horse head thing.

Brigid, that made me laugh out loud.

9. You people should be jailed for torturing that child so.

Hey now, it’s simply a passive disciplinary measure, at least when Scary Chicken Bunny isn’t all animated up.

10. I doubt Scary Chicken Bunny will protect your fine beers when J and I come over…

Or my bourbon, Nick.