“Nihilistic Insouiance” Writ Large

In an Atlantic piece titled More Guns, Less Crime: A Dialogue, Jeffrey Goldberg asks Ta-Nehisi Coates, senior editor of The Atlantic, the following question, amongest others.

Jeffrey Goldberg:  ...If you were confronted with an “active shooter,” do you think, in that moment, you might wish you had a gun?

Coates’ response.

Ta-Nehisi Coates:  I actually wouldn’t wish I had a gun. I’ve shot a rifle at camp once, but that’s about it. If I had a gun, there is a good chance I would shoot myself, thus doing the active shooter’s work for him (it’s usually “him.”) But the deeper question is, “If I were confronted with an active shooter, would I wish to have a gun and be trained in its use?” It’s funny, but I still don’t know that I would. I’m pretty clear that I am going to die one day. That moment will not be of my choosing, and it almost certainly will not be too my liking. But death happens. Life—and living—on the other hand are more under my control. And the fact is that I would actually rather die by shooting than live armed.

Linked via a post at View from the Right titled Liberals Would Rather Be Killed Than Defend Themselves.

Nihilistic insouiance writ large.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 12/27 at 12:12 PM
  1. The Haitians have a word for their fatalism, roughly: “um-lah”

A Mexican will disown you for not loaning him your gun to shoot you with.

But this gal simply has no respect for life. Not even her own.

Posted by Joan Of Argghh!  on  12/27  at  01:32 PM
  2. this is the logical extension of baby killers

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)  on  12/27  at  03:13 PM
  3. Another question to ask; would you rather dozens of other people be killed by shooting than be armed?

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)  on  12/27  at  08:57 PM
  4. Yes, that seems an excellent question ... If not for yourself then for those or even that one?  It amazes me how differently this issue is seen from one person to the next.  The comment “rather die by shooting then live armed” seems to smack of some sort of moral condescension ... How is it better to serve up ones one life to an “evil” then take responsibility for caring for and honoring the gift of one’s life?  Living well is good. Not stopping the destruction of “good” lives if/when one is able ...  doesn’t seem to be something to aspire to.  It seems like cowardice wrapped in complacency to me.

Posted by DeAnn  on  12/27  at  11:42 PM
  5. Mr. Coates elaborates on his peculiar stance here:

After writing much (and actually saying little) he closes with this gem:

“A gun is power. And power demands responsibility. I don’t want to spend my time that way.”

Such a frank repudiation of personal responsibility is nearly as repugnant to me as his expressed wish to die rather than be armed!  How has America come to create people with such views?

Posted by GunRights4US  on  12/28  at  06:55 AM
  6. America has been home to stone-idiots from the beginning.  That they are still among us is no surprise.

We just don’t let the idiots rule.

Furrily simple.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)  on  12/28  at  09:18 AM
  7. jb,

“We just don’t let the idiots rule.”

Then please explain the 2008 and 2012 elections.

/humor (I just couldn’t resist that one)

Posted by Tim P  on  12/28  at  09:59 AM
  8. Do not mistake words for actions.
    That person is an outright liar and laziness is his creed. He chooses victimhood over performance.

Rest assured, if he was confronted by outright evil and imminent death and a self defense weapon became available he would instantly use it.

See, you have to always keep in mind that LIEberals are first and foremost children in their minds. They have’t evolved past the emotional stage of an adolescent into that of the logic of an adult.

The stuff they say and do doesn’t have to make sense, and usually doesn’t. It just has to feel good.

Anyway, at the end of the day that child disguised as an adult will be dispatched without further ado, as he claims it should be.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)  on  12/28  at  02:15 PM
  9. Tim

I can giggle at the idiocy of elections, because I, very much like John, view elections as the machinations of the state to perpetuate itself.

I was speaking about Americans - those not ruled by idiot politicians.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)  on  12/28  at  02:51 PM