Inert Gun Control

image

The recent shooting in Newtown, CT is, without doubt or argument, a terrible incident.  I mourn for the families who have lost children, and adults, to the actions of a disturbed individual.

Within hours of this tragedy, possibly minutes in the world of Twitter, calls for “gun control” were raised, as if gun control in the form of a piece of paper, agreed upon by a bunch of politicians in Washington D.C., and then signed with a flourish under the lights and cameras of the mainstream media by the president, will somehow, some way, prevent such an incident from occurring again in the future.

Take a look at the picture that precedes these words.  That is my handgun.  It is a semi-automatic.  It is laying there on my bedroom floor.  Inert.  The magazines, which hold the rounds, are inert.  The rounds laying there, also, are inert.  They possess no power to move of their own volition.  The handgun, the rounds, the magazines, all are deficient in active properties, just laying there on the floor, unless I take that handgun to my hand and provide it with active properties, which can be referred to as gun control.

The calls for “gun control,” are meaningless, and are an exploitation of a tragic event by poseurs attempting to garner publicity, consolidate control and restrict freedom.  Unless a person, an individual, takes a gun to their hand, the gun is just pieces of machined metal, lacking will, malice, forethought, or ability.  It is inert, and requires no control, until a person, an individual, takes it into their hand.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 12/15 at 11:29 AM
  1. Well said, John.

Posted by mike  on  12/16  at  11:43 AM
  2. I’ll second mike’s comment.

Posted by Tim P  on  12/16  at  02:01 PM
  3. The real value is not the “control” of weapons, but protection from evil people. Richard Fernandez has an interesting use of Poe’s poem “The Raven” here.

Posted by mike  on  12/17  at  12:15 AM
  4. Mike, Fernandez’s use of “The Raven” was interesting in the context which he used it.  Thanks for posting a link to it here.

I see you’ve been on your bicycle a good deal, recently. Hope all is well with you.

5. You make sure that goddamn thing is locked up. You have a kid in the house now. Inert my ass.

Posted by Erin O'Brien  on  12/17  at  01:08 PM
  6. Erin, I am well aware of my responsibilities in regards to the proper care and storage of my weapons, whether there are children in my home, or not.

Your stating that my handgun is a “goddamn thing” is indicative of the societal problem of wrongly attributing malacious actions to an inert object possessing no volition, unless it is in an individual’s hands.  It is groundless demonization.  It is an expression of feelings, rather than reasoned thoughts.

The fault in the tragic story you link of the 3 year old lies with whomever left the handgun laying where little hands could pick it up.  You cannot, in reality, blame the handgun.

7. Children: Children ages 1 to 4 have the highest drowning rates. In 2009, among children 1 to 4 years old who died from an unintentional injury, more than 30% died from drowning.1,2 Among children ages 1 to 4, most drownings occur in home swimming pools.2 Drowning is responsible for more deaths among children 1-4 than any other cause except congenital anomalies (birth defects).1 Among those 1-14, fatal drowning remains the second-leading cause of unintentional injury-related death behind motor vehicle crashes.1

A significant number of those accidental deaths happened in a bathtub ... .

Posted by DeAnn  on  12/19  at  05:16 PM
  8. Anyone have numbers on how many children were victims of partial birth abortion over the last year? Bet it is more than twenty. It would be nice if liberals were at least consistent about their outrage while dancing in the blood of the murdered children.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)  on  12/19  at  08:04 PM

Next entry: Rubbernecking