For the 0.0019 Percent

Glenn Reynolds is concerned about the fact the untreatable gonorrhea is on the way.  I say that unless Glenn is running around on his wife, or vice versa, or, as individual you’re running around with an any port in a storm attitude dipping your wicky into every honeypot that can breathe, this is nothing to be concerned about.  To wit.

The disease has been estimated to affect 600,000 Americans annually,...

Current United States population.  313,018,143

600,000 divided by 313,018,143 equals 0.0019.  So, unless you are one of the 0.0019 percent lacking any sense of responsibility or fidelity, what are you concerned about?

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 02/14 at 02:03 PM
  1. Is *dipping the wicky* the only way gonorrhea can cause harm to others?

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)  on  02/14  at  09:37 PM
  2. I’m not so concerned about gonorrhea as I am about antibiotic resistance being transmitted to more virulent bacteria.  Imagine untreatable strep or staph getting spread through an elementary school.  Humanity is one big petri dish and no one can predict what microbes will share DNA with others.

However, the common wisdom of washing hands, covering coughs with your sleeve, and maintaining personal space is a pretty good way to prevent the spread of diseases.  Treatable ones or not.

Posted by AM  on  02/15  at  12:11 PM
  3. Well that .0019% isn’t as rosy as it looks at first glance.  There maybe 313M people in the country and 600K is .0019% of that total.  But.  The line reads “to affect 600,000 Americans annually”.  Annually, as in every year?  That’s a big number.  Another thing to consider is the number of people that have any measurable chance of contracting the disease.  Children, elderly, monogamous, celibate, etc., the percentage then is certainly higher than .0019.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)  on  02/15  at  08:04 PM
  4. I’m not so concerned about gonorrhea as I am about antibiotic resistance being transmitted to more virulent bacteria.

AM, I understand and can share that concern, for the reasons you state, but antibiotic resistant gonorrhea is among the least of my concerns, and should be among the least of concerns for a large majority of individuals.

5. lenf, you make a good point, as there are many variables which could modify the percentage of 0.0019.  With that said, as I responded to AM, antibiotic resistant gonorrhea is still among the least of my concerns.

6. Is *dipping the wicky* the only way gonorrhea can cause harm to others?

I cannot avow that, Don, but I can avow that if you’re not dipping your wicky willy nilly into a bevy of fillies, or consistently utilizing a raincoat if you’re into willy nilly wicky dipping, the chances are pretty slim you’ll come to harm from gonorrhea.

7. Not that this takes anything away from your point, but 0.0019 is correct, and this is 0.19%, i.e. about one fifth of a percent.

So, how are the fish biting?

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)  on  02/20  at  12:33 AM
  8. “But, but…people have the RIGHT to boink any and all without consequences….that’s why we have the RIGHT to free antireproductive services at employer expense.  And you’re just a Jesus Freak who can’t get it up anymore.”

Lord, I’m sorry I ever even sorta felt that way.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)  on  02/28  at  10:50 AM