Bespectacled Improvement

I’ve had to take up eyeglasses.  They take some getting used to.  I did not have to take them up for reading, which is the most common reason stipulated to me as to the why I’m now wearing glasses, though I have had my spectacles crafted as bi-focals, after attempting the wearing of single vision lenses, because of the way the gauges swam in my truck as I peered down at them to check my speed.

My spectacles are not an accoutrement I’m particularly fond of having to don, though I must admit the improvement they provide for my slight near-sightededness (20/30) is striking.  I’ve noted this striking improvement most notably in watching a size 16 dry fly floating downstream, in sighting a target down range, and gazing at the night sky.  Improvements most welcome.

Spectacles do take some getting used to.  I put them on, and take them off, quitely regularly.  I may have to purchase some type of lanyard to keep them close at hand, as I find that when I slip them into my shirt pocket they tend to tangle with the writing utensil I carry when I must pull the glasses out and prop them back on my nose once again.  Additionally, the glasses must be cleaned, regularly, which means I now must also carry a glass cleaning cloth around all the time, which in and of itself is not that much of an inconvenience as compared to say polishing the lenses clean of accumulations for clarity’s sake.

I’m also going to have to have made sunglasses, with my particular corrective lense prescription and polarized lenses, to better spot trout holding in the stream, which I’ll have to wait on a bit until I’ve accumulated the necessary funds for this additional expense.  They (the eyeglass folks) inform me that they should be able to utilize the existing sunglass frames I already own, which is good, because I’ve worn the same sunglasses for the past 20 years, and I’m loath to change them to something different.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 11/29 at 10:37 AM
  1. John, there is something called multi vision contact lenses ... I think of them as faceted as a compound insect eye (?!) (that way you can just keep your shades as they are).  Some how the brain knows to adapt.  Have also used some kind of near in one eye far in the other ... not approved for aviation, but very effective for walking around life ... again the brain does it’s thing.  My FAA medical requires lenses for distance, which “messes up the things close at hand ...  I find the no line bifocals best for near gauges/distance viewing.  It amazes me that we adjust to this additions bits and pieces as well as we do.
    Hearing up next?!  No telling what you’ll be sporting by age 103!  lol.

Posted by DeAnn  on  11/29  at  11:55 AM
  2. DeAnn, you’ve provided the same advice as the Lovely Melis, regarding contacts.  I’m not enamored of putting something in my eye, and then having to take it out again, although I’m sure I could get used to it, and I do kind of like the idea of having a compound insect eye, especially when you consider that I chase mayflies, which trout love to eat.

For now I think I’ll stick with my Buddy Holly style of spectacles, which have a bit of 21st century styling, and see how my brain/sight makes the adjustments required for one wearing corrective lenses.

3. John, I think it a bit of a “thing” that God gifts one ... such as yourself, with a perfectly lovely, intelligent, capable women ... one who knows and adores you, one who has only your very best interests at heart ... that one ... and you just dig your heels in on truly excellent, albeit gentle, “advice”.  I think it might be a man thing, precursor to the grouchy old man thing, which rides the heels of glasses lost while enjoying the great outdoors!  Lol ... I enjoyed your post as always.  Best of luck with the new gear!

Posted by DeAnn  on  11/29  at  05:40 PM
  4. Having gone from 20/15 most of my life to an advanced stage of presbyopia (age-related loss of near vision), I have found a lanyard/cord for my reading glasses to be a necessity. Lost too many pairs, and had too many occasions when I desperately needed a pair that wasn’t there. (Glasses, that is.)

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)  on  12/04  at  01:07 AM
  5. Staring at AutoCAD for 16 hours a day forced me to get glasses about 15 years ago - can’t see stuff up close, its all blurry. I always wore shades out in the sun so I thought tinted glasses would be the thing. I’ll never make that mistake again. Can’t see stuff at night.

7 years ago my glasses weren’t working so my new ones ended up being trifocals, the lineless type. Can you imagine that? Me, with trifocals. As DeAnn said, within a few days my brain adapted to them much to my astonishment. It required no effort on my part. I automatically, without thinking about it, tilt my head slightly for the correct clarity. Amazing.

I hate wearing glasses but there are upsides to them. I do extensive woodworking, mostly lathe work, and these glasses have saved my eyes many times from flying chips, dust, insects, etc. However, because the lenses are plastic they attract very fine sawdust like you wouldn’t believe. Typically they will be removed and wiped off with the front of my t-shirt 10 or more times per day. Yeah, that’s a pain. Another annoying thing is working up a sweat. They slide down my nose and cut off my air so I have to again stop frequently and wipe the bridge of my nose off with my t-shirt sleeve. Intense sweating with glasses is miserable cause then you can’t see at all with sweat running down the lenses. That is a royal pain.

About once a month I wipe the lenses down real good with rubbing alcohol and a small wad of toilet paper, let them dry, then buff them out with my shirt. Wow. They are so clean I can almost see behind myself!

Anyway, I put em on when I get up and they stay there til I lay back down, non-stop, except as noted above. My wife on the other hand is always asking me if I’ve seen her glasses anywhere. And I always say “Of course”, because she is always taking them off and laying them wherever she happens to be so I see them all over the place.

My neighbor across the road, a lifelong glasses wearer recently got trifocal *concentric* contacts that are installed once a month and he swears by em, wishes he got em years ago. Like you John, I ain’t fond of putting stuff in my eyes. I wish I had the ballz to get the laser beams shot in my eyes cause I heard its remarkable. I’m REALLY chicken shit about that sort of thing. I mean really, a laser beam in your eyeball? Sounds like a warped sci-fi book from the 50’s…..

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)  on  12/06  at  11:53 PM
  6. Don, I’m becoming familiar with all the points you note, upside and down, which result from wearing glasses.

As to laser beams being shot into my eyes, versus wearing contacts, I think I’d go for the laser beams before going for the contacts.

My Lovely Melis had the laser beam treatment done to her eyes.  I sat and watched the whole thing, which took less than 5 minutes, and she couldn’t be more pleased with the results.

I must admit, watching it done, was a bit unusual.  Little puffs of vaporized matter rising from pried open eyes just doesn’t look normal.

7. Well John I have to ask, if you saw the Lasik process performed successfully, on your wife no less, why did you opt for glasses rather than the Lasik?

My issue with it is I haven’t found anybody that will tell me directly eye to eye, pun intended, that they had it done and was happy with it. When it comes to my ocular glands I’ll settle for nothing but 1st hand info. LOL

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)  on  12/07  at  02:47 PM
  8. Don, I opted for glasses, rather than the Lasik, mostly because of the cost of Lasik.  I figure if my nearsightedness worsens, over the next decade, I can still opt for Lasik.  Glasses, which cost me $352 out of pocket, including exam, were more economical without vision insurance.

My Lovely Melis has had Lasik, four or five years ago, and she would tell you, eye to eye, that she was immensely happy with it, and still is.  She has had to pick up readers, though, in the past year.