Are You Susceptible to Being Prompted (Manipulated)?

An interesting article in the UK’s The Telegraph reports on the UK’s experimentation with what is called The Nudge Unit.

At the unit’s heart is a simple premise. Instead of using clunky legislation, or the blunderbuss of regulations, to threaten people into action, government policy can better be executed by employing small, clever prompts. Combining economics with psychology, these “nudges” not only foment a more responsible population, but also make us as individuals feel happier and more informed about the choices we make. In short: you steer people towards better decisions by presenting choices in different ways.

While I appreciate that such psychological prompting can be effective; I’ve used such methods with my kids with some success; I find it disturbing when governments employ such methods in order to control citizens.

Inside the Coalition’s controversial ‘Nudge Unit’

And, from 2011, David Cameron is nudging us in the right direction

Via Donald Sensing, via Bayou Renaissance Man.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 02/14 at 04:28 PM
  1. I was having a medidation on this just this morning. Along the lines of the biblical Jacob being the first “nudger” with his uncle’s herds.

We’d like to think we’re better than cattle,but…

Posted by Joan Of Argghh!  on  02/14  at  05:38 PM
  2. Joan, what passage were you reading?  Also, were you pointed to the passage by a devotional reading, or, something else?  Let me know, either here in comments, or hit me with an email.  I’d appreciate it.

3. One of Obama’s communist mentors - U. Chicago Law Professor and ex-“Czar” Cass Sunstein - wrote a book titled NUDGE. Same stuff. Collectivist enslavement via small steps. And it’s working. So far.

Posted by StukaPilot  on  02/14  at  07:52 PM
  4. Oh, it’s never too far from my thoughts. It’s an essay that’s been burning in my brain for 40 years.

Jacob decides to nudge the cattle’s brains by placing visuals in front of them while they are at the drinking trough.

It begins in Gen. 30:25

Posted by Joan of Argghh!  on  02/15  at  08:49 AM
  5. Thanks, Joan, I’ll see if a semblance of your brain burning essay materializes in my mind after delving into Gen. 30:25.

6. Joan, after reading Gen. 30:25 through and up to Genesis 35 this morning, I understand why you consider Jacob’s actions with the cattle as nudging, but I’ve not come up with an essay.  If you ever write your essay, I’d like to read it.

7. It’s called *marketing 101* and been around forever. I’m not convinced that nudge unit came up with the idea for the loft insulation. It sounds more like something a clever insulation contractor would come up with. I see this stuff all the time and use the tactic myself because people are indeed lazier than they know.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)  on  02/15  at  01:50 PM